- Risk Management
Pat Little, DDS, FAGD, CFE
Gain peace of mind knowing that you are maximizing practice value while minimizing financial risks.
As both a dentist and accountant, Dr. Pat Little brings a unique blend of skill and experience to his presentations which focus on strategies for reducing financial and data security risks. Dr. Little also provides dental transition consulting to help dentists maximize practice value. He integrates his accounting and financial education with over thirty years of varying dental experiences including starting two private practices from “scratch.”
Dr. Pat Little’s presentations focus on strategies for reducing financial and data security risks, practice transitions, as well as topics related to fraud and embezzlement. He is an engaging and entertaining speaker who presents wellinformed and technologically up-to-date programs while converting complicated (and sometimes scary) material into “plain English.”
While the majority of dental teams are loyal and honest, it only takes one desperate individual to financially ruin a dental practice.
While internal controls are useful and important, they have limitations and may not be as effective as the doctor thinks. Many doctors fail to discover fraud and embezzlement until significant damage has occurred.
Learn how to mitigate damages by recognizing important warning signs associated with embezzlement and fraud by understanding the characteristics and behaviors of an embezzler. Dr. Pat Little, Certified Fraud Examiner and accountant, shares actual embezzlement cases as teaching tools that take you into the mindset of an embezzler. In this eye-opening, fast-paced course, attendees gain techniques and tools to help protect financial assets in the practice and bring greater peace of mind.
- Recognize the profile of a typical embezzler
- Understand what leads to embezzlement in dental offices
- Analyze the strength and limits of internal controls strategies
- Identify the additional actions doctor’s needs to take beyond internal controls
- Gain access to a behavioral assessment which helps identify red flag behaviors
Suggested Format: Partial Day, Keynote, After Dinner
Suggested Audience: Because specific fraud methodologies are openly discussed and demonstrated, this presentation is appropriate for dentists, their spouses and dental students only. Please note this restriction in your course program.
DSO growth has intensified, and many dentists in private practice fear they might lose their independence.
While the various DSO models can benefit certain patients and dentists,the future of private practice is still bright for the dentists who are willing to invest in and plan their careers and eventual transition options.
This course discusses the strengths and challenges of the various DSO and private practice models along with advice for creating wealth through private practice by planning and executing various transition strategies.
- Understand the various types of DSO models and their growth strategies
- Learn the advantages and disadvantages of DSO’s vs. private practice
- Explore the various types of private practice entities and the challenges each one faces
- Discover transition strategies to generate wealth through private practice ownership
Suggested Format: Half Day Presentation
Suggested Audience: Dentist and Team
Dental and medical identify theft is now the fastest growing and most lucrative form of identity theft.
Any breach that affects our patient’s private data can result in devastating legal and financial consequences. As individuals, we are also vulnerable to various types of cyber hacking and identify theft. Additionally, random HIPAA audits are now being conducted with increasing frequency along with higher fines for noncompliance. Can you afford the fines and loss of patient confidence?
Learn the steps to achieve and maintain compliance with the HIPAA Security
Rule and explore the real- world measures that practices must take to protect
privacy and data.
- Learn the steps needed to maintain compliance with the HIPAA Security Rule
- Recognize and resolve computer and Internet threats
- Understand the types and modalities of identity theft
- Analyze hardware, software and data protection solutions
- Discover how to thwart low-tech identity theft (it’s still alive and well)
Suggested Format: Half Day Presentation
Suggested Audience: Dentist and Team
After leaving clinical practice, Dr. Little returned to college to complete his accounting and general business education. While working with a dental accounting firm, he developed a deep interest in fraud and embezzlement, so he earned the Certified Fraud Examiner credential and subsequently joined Prosperident as a Senior Fraud Examiner. Through Prosperident, Dr. Little conducts embezzlement examinations and advises dentists in matters related to fraud and embezzlement.
While maintaining his relationship with Prosperident, Dr. Little has expanded his lecturing and consulting services by joining Legacy Practice Transitions where he works with dentists to provide a wide range of transition consulting services.
Dr. Little is an engaging and entertaining trainer who presents well-informed and technologically up-to- date programs while converting complicated (and sometimes scary) material into “plain English.”
- American Dental Association, Member
- Tennessee Dental Association, Member
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Member
- Academy of General Dentistry, Member and Fellow
- Academy of General Dentistry (multiple)
- Alabama Academy of General Dentistry
- Alberta Dental Association
- American Association of Orthodontists (multiple)
- American College of Dentists (multiple)
- American Dental Association (multiple)
- Arkansas Dental Association
- Big Apple Dental Meeting
- Chicago Mid-Winter Meeting (multiple)
- District of Columbia Academy of General Dentistry
- Florida Dental Association
- Georgia Dental Association
- Indiana Dental Association
- Kentucky Dental Association
- Michigan Dental Association
- New Orleans Dental Conference
- Rhode Island Dental Association
- Star of the South Dental Meeting
- Texas Dental Meeting
- Thomas P. Hinman Dental Meeting (multiple)
- Washington State Dental Association
- Yankee Dental Congress (multiple)
- Accelerated Dental Studies
- Alabama Third District Dental Society
- Allegheny Dental Study Club
- Capitol Periodontal Group (multiple)
- City of Palms Study Club
- Dane County Dental Society
- Foothills Dental Continuum
- Fox River Valley Dental Society
- Grand Strand Dental Society
- Hot Springs Study Club (Seattle)
- Iredell County Dental Society
- Isaac Knapp Dental Society
- James River Study Club
- Kingsport Dental Society
- Medical College of Georgia
- Muskingum Valley Dental Society
- New England Orthodontic Study Club
- Nittany Alliance
- North Shore Implant & Oral Surgery Associates
- Northwest Georgia ITI Study Club
- Patterson Dental Expo
- Pierce County Dental Society
- PMEG Study Club
- Port Huron Study Club
- Richmond Orthodontic Study Club
- Sacramento Study Forum
- Seattle Study Club Southeast Houston
- Snohomish County Dental Society
- South Jersey Study Club
- Spartanburg County Dental Society
- St. Louis Dental Society
- Tennessee Valley Study Club
- The Incubator: Augusta College School of Dentistry
- Twin Cities Perio Study Club
- VCU School of Dentistry
- Virginia Beach Study Club
- Washington Dental Service
- Will County Dental Society
- Woehler Research Group
—Linda Miles, Founder LLM&A and The Speaking Consulting Network Co-Founder of Oral Cancer Cause and EPIC II
“Dr. Pat Little enlightened our local dental society by presenting a unique perspective into the world of embezzlement in the dental oﬀice. While the topic is not a comfortable subject to examine, the information gained through the presentation was insightful and useful to consider how oﬀice finances are handled from the eyes of an embezzler. It was very refreshing to have a presentation where each of us could take what we learned and directly apply it, no matter the size of the practice or the specialty.”
—Dr. Mike Munn, Grand Strand Dental Society
“I have listened to and invited many speakers during my educational and professional career around the country. Dr. Pat Little is one of the best speakers I have encountered. He lectures with information gleaned from first-hand experience as a private practice dentist, accountant and fraud examiner. He provides tremendous expertise, supported by real-life embezzlement cases that make the information tangible to every practice owner. I wholeheartedly recommend him to everyone who has the privilege and opportunity to hear him speak. He is one presenter not to be missed.”
—Dr. Rosemary Wu, Capitol Periodontics
Why choose Pat Little?
- He is an engaging and entertaining speaker who presents well-informed and technologically up-to-date programs while converting complicated (and sometimes scary) material into “plain English.”
- Dr. Pat Little, Certified Fraud Examiner and accountant, shares actual embezzlement cases as teaching tools that take you into the mindset of an embezzler. Attendees gain techniques and tools to help protect financial assets in the practice and bring greater peace of mind.
- Learn the steps to achieve and maintain compliance with the HIPAA Security Rule and explore the real- world measures that practices must take to protect privacy and data.