- Health & Wellness
- Inspiration / Motivation
- Stress Management
- Suicide Prevention
The Dental Suicide Prevention Speaker
Frank King, aka The Mental Health Comedian, is a Suicide Prevention and Postvention Public Speaker and Trainer who turned a lifelong battle with depression into a keynote worth spreading. After writing for the Tonight Show for 20-plus years and performing corporate comedy, Frank’s attention…His mission is to end the stigma surrounding mental health by share his insights with anyone and everyone who will listen in an effort to “start the conversation.”
He believes that where there is humor there is hope. And where there is laughter there is life… Nobody dies laughing.
You can make a difference. You can save a life. It can be as simple as starting a conversation.
Healthcare professionals are at greater risk for suicide according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s Occupational Suicide List. This has led state departments of health to recommend or require these professionals to receive suicide prevention training.
Frank King, The Mental Health Comedian and Dental Suicide Prevention Speaker, works with dental teams to develop effective suicide prevention strategies within their practices. Participants learn how to recognize warning signs associated with suicide, understand how to start a conversation, and offer support through referrals. By participating in this course, you have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of both co-workers and patients.
As a former writer for The Tonight Show, Frank knows how to infuse humor into his content and uses personal experience to highlight the importance of suicide prevention. Frank illustrates how suicide prevention practices reduce harm as well as facilitate a healthier, more productive, and more profitable office. Participants will gain a holistic understanding of mental health challenges in the workplace and learn how to reduce workplace stress, improve practice culture, and promote both patient and team well-being.
- Recognize the prevalence of death by suicide and the importance of prevention practices within the workplace
- Learn the epidemiology, etiology and risk factors of suicidal behavior
- Discover strategies for screening, assessing, and reducing the risk of suicide
- Understand special concerns, risk factors and interventions related to military veterans
- Identify self-injurious behaviors and what objects, substances, and actions are common in suicide attempts
- Highlight the management and treatment modalities for patients at risk for suicide, including best practices for connecting the patient to referral
- Gain the knowledge and skills to conduct suicide Postvention
- Comprehend the relationship between workplace stress and suicide and learn valuable techniques to stress-less at work
Suggested Formats: Full or Partial Day; Lecture, Workshop, Keynote
SuggestedAudience: Dentist and Team Members
Depression and suicide run in Frank King’s family. He has thought about killing himself more times than he can count. He’s fought a lifetime battle with depression and thoughts of ending his life. Frank has turned that long dark journey of the soul into inspirational and motivational educational courses for healthcare professionals. His courses share lifesaving insights into mental and emotional health.
Frank King is a suicide prevention and postvention speaker, author and corporate comedian. He was a writer for The Tonight Show for 20 years and has been featured on CNN’s Business Unusual. Frank is co-author of a book on men’s mental fitness, Guts, Grit, and the Grind. He co-hosts a podcast, The Suicide Prevention Punchline. He has presented five TEDx talks.
By coming out, as it were, and standing in his truth and doing it with humor, Frank starts a conversation giving people with mental and emotional illness permission to give voice to their feelings and experiences surrounding depression and suicide. He creates a common pool of knowledge in which those who suffer, and those who care about them, can swim. Frank believes that where there is humor there is hope, where there is laughter there is life, and nobody dies laughing.
–Vanessa Emerson, Founder; Dental Speakers Bureau & Dental Speaker Institute
“It was really a great pleasure to have you speak at our Cardiovascular Symposium. We can all get a bit serious and tunnel-visioned in terms of our professions and you gave us a very nice perspec7ve from the view of the patient. Your performance really lightened the atmosphere of the conference; there were several cardiologist at my table that were bent over double laughing!”
–Dr. Sudeshna Banerjee
“Frank King delivered the best event luncheon keynote that we’ve ever had. Being able to laugh about the hard issues makes it easier for people to discuss them. Ditto takes away the shame and encourages conversations that can be life-saving.”
— Michelle Madison, Events and Outreach Manager, NAMI Oregon
“After seeing your presentation, it dawned on me that your content should be taught in medical school, because most physicians do not take the time to follow up on subtle “warning signs” given verbally by patients. I would think that your keynote should be required curriculum for all medical students. It is really powerful in so many ways.”
— Dr. Pete Dempsey, MD, Anderson Medical Center, Houston, TX
- American Association of Therapeutic
- American Veterinary Medical
- Charlotte Hungerford Hospital
- Cigna Columbia River Mental Health
- Duke University
- Durham Bulls
- Holland America
- Iowa Department of Public Health
- Lackland Air Force Base
- MPI Tampa
- NAMI Ohio
- NAMI Orange County (California)
- NAMI Oregon
- North Carolina State University
- Oregon Funeral Directors Association
- Peace Health
- Sacred Heart Hospital Riverbend
- Sam’s Club
- Seattle Study Club
- Selected Independent Funeral Homes
- Taco Bell
- The Federal Reserve
- UNC Chapel Hill
- University of Montana Billings
- Washington State Veterinary Medical Association
Why choose Frank King?
- Frank is a nationally known Suicide Prevention and Postvention Speaker and Trainer
- He’s fought a lifetime battle with depression, and thoughts of ending his life, turning that long dark journey of the soul into a TED Talk, “A Matter of Laugh or Death.”
- Frank was a writer for The Tonight Show for 20 years, is a Corporate Comedian, syndicated humor columnist, and podcast personality, who was featured on CNN’s Business Unusual.