New Dentist Advisor
3800 N Pulaski
Chicago, IL 60641
- Business / Financial
- New Dentists
- Practice Management
Bill Simon, DMD
New dentists need to be not only skilled and competent clinicians but capable and efficient business owners. It is important for them to be familiarized as early as possible with the tools needed to run a dental practice.
There is no way that dental school can prepare dentists for all of the challenges that will come their way while practicing dentistry.
Described by some as “dramatic”, Dr. Bill Simon’s dental career has included its share of challenging situations. including multiple fee-for service and Medicaid practices, moves, build outs, space-sharing, practice acquisition, associates, recovery from a major office fire, embezzlement, robbery at gun point and more! Drawing from his 35 years of experience in practice ownership, this course is designed for the new dentist – and those with many years of experience – and offers an entertaining and informative look at the ever changing world of private practice dentistry.
Learn what to consider when buying or starting a new practice, what to look for in an associateship or an associate, practice ownership and management principles, office design and build out concepts, marketing tips, technology to consider, choosing a dental laboratory, referring to specialists, financial planning concerns, and risk management.
This course also illuminates some of the unforeseen challenges that dentists encounter along the way. Attendees will appreciate the pearls of wisdom shared and common mistakes avoided when they apply Dr. Simon’s lessons and position themselves for greater success in dentistry!
Learning Objectives — Mix & Match to customize a presentation for your next meeting!
- Historical Perspective on Dentistry – where dentistry has been/is going
- Associateship vs. Ownership – understand advantages / disadvantages
- What to look for when hiring an Associate
- Office Design – considerations/tips for creating optimum outcomes
- Financial Planning – estate, retirement and insurance planning concerns
- Practice Management – responding to challenges while advancing team/leadership
- The role of the Office Manager in practice success
- Marketing – internal/external strategies and activities
- New Technology – evaluating options/their impact on patient perceptions
- Choosing a Dental Laboratory – assessing lab choices to determine best fit
- Referring to Specialists – building strong referral relationships
- Risk Management – understand various issues/compliance guidelines
- Resources and tools to boost your success
- The benefits of Involvement in Organized Dentistry
- Building a strong, cohesive team and a feel-good culture
- Other Pearls of Wisdom …and much more!
Suggested Format: Full or Half Day, Lecture, Workshop, Keynote
Suggested Audience: Dentists, Dental Students, Practice Managers
What Dental Practice Administrators Need to Know
Customized for the oﬃce manager/administrator. This presentation helps practice managers Increase communication skills, boost efficiency, build a stronger partnership with owner/ doctor, and develop a team of self-directed leaders and offers answers to questions that dental oﬃce managers frequently ask.
What Dental Students Need to Know
Customized for the third and fourth year student. This presentation helps students understand their options as they embark on their career in dentistry and offers answers to questions that dental students frequently ask.
Described by some as “dramatic”, Dr. Bill Simon’s 35 year dental career has included its share of challenging situations. Starting as an associate in a run-down Medicaid practice, Dr. Simon grew to become the sole owner of 2 practices grossing over $2 million per year. His experience includes 6 build outs, 9 locations, 3 space-sharing arrangements, 1 practice acquisition and over 25 associates. He experienced a lost lease, an embezzlement scheme, robbery at gun point, and a major fire after which the team worked out of 3 offices before settling into an abandoned dental office while he rebuilt. The fourth month after the fire, Dr. Simon’s practice had the best production month in practice history.
These experiences, coupled with Dr. Simon’s passion to help young dentists succeed, have inspired him to speak to and mentor new dentists. Sharing experiences and imparting lessons in leadership, communication and practice management principles, Dr. Simon encourages both new dentists and dental students with the knowledge and hope they need to allay their fears and facilitate their success.
Dr. Simon is a practicing dentist and owner of multiple practices in Chicago. He is a member of the American Dental Association, the Illinois State Dental Society, and the Chicago Dental Society. He is on the leadership ladder of the Chicago Dental Society’s Northside Branch and is the current Chair of the Illinois State Dental Society’s Access to Care Committee.
Dr. Simon volunteers his time to charitable causes including the Illinois Foundation of Dentistry for the Handicapped, Dental Lifeline Network and the Old Irving Park Free Health Clinic. He also volunteers his time to mentor dental and undergraduate students through various intern and externship program opportunities in his practice.
- American Association of Dental Office Managers
- Chicago Dental Society Northside Branch
- Chicago MidWinter Meeting (multiple)
- Columbia University
- Indiana Dental Association & IU School of Dentistry
- Maine Dental Association
- Michigan Dental Association
- Montana Dental Association
- Rocky Mountain Dental Convention
- South Dakota Dental Association
- Star of the South
- West Virginia Dental Association
- Western Regional Dental Experience
Dr. Simon has been published in:
- AADOM Observer
- Inside Dentistry
- Pennsylvania AGD Keystone Explorer
- The Dental Tribune (Canada)
- Modern Dental Business
—Linda Miles, Founder Linda Miles & Associates
Founder, Speaking Consulting Network
Co Founder, Oral Cancer Cause
“I had the pleasure of seeing Dr. Simon present to a group of dentistry’s best speakers at the 2015 Speaking Consulting Network (SCN) Annual Meeting. Dr. Simon’s presentation was both engaging and motivating. He shared the many challenges his practice has survived, and how those challenges allowed him to become one of the best business owners, team leaders, and dentists in the country. Dr. Simon speaks from the heart, is humble, and shares advice that every dentist and business owner can either relate to or find hope in.”
—Rita Zamora, Social Media Marketing & Training
“Dr. Bill Simon’s showcase presentation was inspiring! His willingness and openness to share his obstacles and failures as well as the steps he took to reach his success is both powerful and relevant information that will help new dentists fast track to their success! He shares real life lessons that inspire, empower and give hope to new dentists to overcome the obstacles they encounter in owning a practice.“
—Judy Kay Mausolf; Speaker, Coach, Author
Why choose Bill?
- Dr. Simon grew to become the sole owner of two highly successful multi-doctor practices.
- Dr. Simon’s practice experience includes 6 build outs, 9 locations, 3 space-sharing arrangements, 1 practice acquisition and over 25 associates.
- He also experienced a lost lease, an embezzlement scheme, robbery at gun point, and a major fire. Four months after the fire, his practice experienced their best production month to date.
- Dr. Simon mentors both new dentists and undergraduates through various intern and externship program opportunities in his practice.
- Dr. Simon has been a practicing dentist and practice owner in Chicago for 30 years.